- Further to my COVID-19 Pandemic NBA Release III of yesterday, 15 April 2020, I am pleased to unveil the NBA Welfare Committee, chaired by Dr. Olawale Babalakin, SAN and constituted pursuant to Section 12 of the Nigerian Bar Association Constitution, 2015 (as amended) (“NBA Constitution”). The full membership of the Committee is as follows:
Dr. Olawale Babalakin, SAN Chairman Chief Bolaji Ayorinde, SAN Vice Chairman Miannaya Essien, SAN Member Yakubu C Maikyau, SAN Member Solomon Umoh, SAN Member Dr. Garba Tertengi, SAN Member Chief (Mrs.) Victoria Awomolo, SAN Member Sylva Ogwemoh, SAN Member Ibrahim Sanni Muhammed, SAN HAGCJ, Kogi State/Member Emeka Etiaba, SAN Member Mba E Ukweni, SAN Member Steven Adehi, SAN Member Olabode Olanipekun, SAN Member Tuduru Ede, SAN Member Theophilus T Igba 3rd Vice President Emeka Anosike National Financial Secretary Joshua Usman National Welfare Secretary Ewenode Onoriode 1st Natl Asst Sec/Ctte Sec
- The broad functions of the Welfare Committee as set out in Section 2(h) of the NBA Constitution are as follows:
- “Shall be responsible for the administration of any Welfare Scheme established by the Association;
- “Shall be responsible for other welfare matters;
- “Shall carry out any other function that may be assigned to it by the President or the National Executive Committee.”
- Without prejudice to these broad functions, I have, in exercising the powers given to the NBA President by sub-paragraph (c) afore-quoted, mandated the Welfare Committee to focus its immediate attention and activities on raising funds from our members and other public-spirited persons and institutions which would be utilized in providing succor to our most vulnerable and deprived members who are worsted by the economic hardships occasioned by the on-going national lockdown consequent upon the dreaded COVID-19 pandemic. Apart from raising the funds, the Committee will work with me in designing the most equitable and integrity-proof model for identifying the genuinely needy beneficiaries of the relief materials. Part of the Committee’s responsibility would also be to determine the form that the reliefs should take e.g. cash or kind (illustratively, food items and the like) or a combination of the two or any other form.
- I must thank all the members of the Committee for accepting so graciously to serve the Association and our members in these rather difficult times. I must in particular thank my friend, brother and Call-mate, Dr. Olawale Babalakin, SAN who, not surprisingly, has been consistently supportive of my NBA administration from inception. I spoke with all the members of the Committee prior to their appointment, and, just like Dr. Babalakin, they all readily accepted to serve. I know each of them personally and can attest to their extremely busy schedules even in this period of national lockdown and I therefore do not take their service for granted howsoever. Indeed, I owe them a debt of gratitude on behalf of the Association.
- I look forward to working with the Committee on this assignment and will, in conjunction with them, keep our members constantly informed and updated on the Committee’s work progress.