07 September 2019
1. I am pleased to announce the constitution of the Nigerian Bar Association Women’s Forum with the following distinguished executive members:
i. Professor Oluyemisi A Bamgbose, SAN - Chairperson
ii. Mrs. Chinyere Okorocha - Vice Chairperson
iii. Mrs. Nsidibe Aideyan - Secretary
iv. Hajia Safiya I Balarabe - Treasurer
2. I am enthused that these distinguished and extremely busy ladies have accepted to serve as the directing minds of the Forum. Professor Bamgbose, apart from being a frontline Professor of Law at the University of Ibadan, holds the distinction of being the first female academician to have been elevated to the rank of a Senior Advocate of Nigeria based on her academic work. I should add that she has deep passion for gender-related issues which, with her other outstanding accomplishments, place her in good stead to steer the affairs of the Forum diligently and aright.
3. Professor Bamgbose will be assisted in the leadership of the Forum by Mrs. Chinyere Okorocha, the Vice Chairman of the Forum and a very cerebral and accomplished private practitioner who serves as a Partner in the upscale law firm of Jackson, Etti & Edu. Chinyere is a woman of passion and drive, with over-weening interest in the upliftment of women, qualities that she brings to bear on her various leading roles in the NBA Section on Business Law and also at the recently concluded NBA Annual General Conference where she served as the co-chairperson of the Finance Sub-Committee of the Technical Committee on Conference Planning.
4. To assist the Forum’s executive in an advisory capacity, a blue-ribbon Council has been constituted comprising the following eminent ladies:
A. Her Excellency, Anna Isiyaku, First Lady of Taraba State
B. Mrs. Maryam Uwais, MFR, Special Adviser to the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria
C. Professor Joy Ngozi Ezeilo, OON, Dean, Faculty of Law, University of Nigeria, Nsukka and activist
D. Mrs. Dorothy Ufot, SAN, frontline arbitrator
E. Hajia Hadiza D S Magaji, Chief Registrar, Borno State Judiciary
F. Mrs. Florence Fiberesima, Solicitor-General and Permanent Secretary, Rivers State Ministry of Justice
G. Dr. Foluke Dada, academician, gender activist and NBA 2nd Vice President; and
H. Ms. Ayotola Jagun, Chief Compliance Officer, Oando Plc.
5. I have spoken with each of these ladies and they have graciously agreed to serve as Council members of the NBA Women’s Forum, alongside the Executive Members, and I can only express deep appreciation and sincere gratitude to them, on behalf of the NBA. I must finally state, on behalf of the National Officers of our Association, that we would do all that is necessary and required to assist the Forum in its workings and activities.
Paul Usoro, SAN