RESOLUTIONS OF THE NIGERIAN BAR ASSOCIATION ("NBA") PRE-ANNUAL GENERAL CONFERENCE NATIONAL EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE ("NEC") MEETING HELD AT HARBOUR POINT, VICTORIA ISLAND, LAGOS ON SUNDAY, THE 25TH DAY OF AUGUST 2019
1.1 Whereas the Nigerian Bar Association held its Pre-Annual General Conference National (“AGC”) Executive Committee meeting at Harbour Point, Victoria Island, Lagos on Sunday, the 25th day of August 2019;
1.2 And whereas the meeting considered several issues of importance to the Association and to the Nigerian nation;
1.3 The meeting unanimously RESOLVED as follows:
1. NEC adopted and approved the NBA Management Account for Quarter 4 of the 2018/2019 Financial Year and applauded the transparent and financially prudent manner that the NBA President and his team were running the affairs of the Association.
2. NEC further received and approved the Travel Policy that was presented by the President as part of the governance reforms that is instituted by the Usoro-led NBA administration.
3. NEC adopted and recommended to the NBA Annual General Meeting (AGM") the proposal by the NBA President for a change in the Financial Year period of the NBA from the present August to July of the succeeding year, to the calendar year of each year i.e. January to December.
4. NEC received and noted the contents of the Secretariat Reports most of which were deferred for full deliberation and consideration at the NBA AGM.
5. NEC noted the update report of the Technical Committee on Conference Planning in regard to the 2019 AGC and commended the President and the Committee for what promises to be a well-organized Conference.
NBA AGM Agenda Items
6. NEC noted and recommended for consideration by the AGM the amendments to the NBA Constitution 2015 proposed by the President but advised that the Constitution and Electoral Review Committee of the NBA be mandated to examine further the electoral provisions in the NBA Constitution in order to determine aspects of those provisions that may require reforms and consequentially advise on the need for further amendment of the NBA Constitution in regard thereto.
7. NEC noted the need for appointment of new Trustees for the Association following the effluxion of the tenure of the existing Trustees in the terms of the NBA Constitution and mandated the NBA President to make the fresh appointments and present same to the NBA AGM for ratification.
DATED THIS 25TH DAY OF AUGUST 2019
PAUL USORO, SAN JONATHAN GUNU TAIDI, ESO
PRESIDENT GENERAL SECRETARY